No announcement yet.

Winter Wusses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Northern England, UK. England's got about the same latitudinal range as Pacific coastal Canada*, but we get extra warmth from the thermohaline circulation and being surrounded by water moderates the seasonal temperature changes.

Here's the weather forecast for the vicinity of that office. As you can see, it's cold and wet at the moment but not really all that cold.

The last 12 months for Leeds-Bradford Airport (I think) and Edmonton, Alberta, both 53.8 degrees north, use rather different scales on the temperature graph.

ETA: Atlanta! Alright, it has been unusually cold for Atlanta for a few nights.

* Scotland gets all the way up past Juneau, Alaska, to around Chateh, Alberta, and the Shetland Islands are up there with Hay River Dene Indian Reservation, Takhini Hot Spring and Bethel, Alaska. At the other end, Lizard Point's level with Winnipeg.
    Last edited by sableagle; 11-21-2008, 07:08 PM.
    When I was fifteen, my father thought I knew nothing. When I was twenty-five, I was amazed by how little he thought I'd learned in such a long time.

Comment

Mid 20's and wind here in Oklahoma today. The cold isn't so bad. It is that dang wind that will get you. Sitting out in the sun on a cold day=very nice.

Comment

I prefer the term Weather Wimp

Then again I am the opposite of most of you folks who go out side without coats... in the hottest days of summer I'll still be wearing my heavier hoodies.

Comment

I was hanging out with my cousin one day near the end of february start of march, there was a big group of us and one german exchange student and we're all walking around going to the park. We get to the park and by that point some of us have started to actually sweat.

Everyone but the german girl strips off their jackets and tosses them on a pile in the park while the poor german girl is double bundled in the biggest jackets she can find while shivering and were all running around complaining that it's still too warm.

Why were we so hot? well cause for the first time in months it was only -10 instead of -30 After a winter where the wind chill drops it to -50, -10 starts feeling bloody freaking warm.

*note all temperatures are in celsius and Im not doing the conversions for you.
          If you're going to lose, lose with NUCLEAR EXPLOSIONS!

Comment

If I can get away without a jacket or coat, I go without. I hate being confined in a coat. I feel like I cant move my arms like I want and I feel like Im being chocked if I try to drive. Its all just a pain in the ass. Besides, if I get cold all I need to do is get off my lazy ass and do something. Within minutes, Im sweating. No biggy. The only time I wont go outside is when its windy, like today. It's windy as hell right now. Made for putting groceries in my car a pain in the ass. Hair whips in my face and eyes (ouch), have to keep one foot on the grocery cart so it doesnt get blown away, and my lips freaking get chapped. Yea, Im bitching but, if it wasnt so windy, I would be out there doing stuff.
            Originally posted by Originally Posted by RazorJAK
            Apple Butter and SHARP cheddar go together like Wenchie and Motorboat noises.

Comment

Originally posted by Wenchie View Post
              I hate being confined in a coat. ... Its all just a pain in the ass.
              You're wearing them wrong.

"See? That right there is why I check your vagina for traps every time we're about to have sex."

Comment

Originally posted by RazorJAK View Post
                You're wearing them wrong.
                actually, Im not wearing one at all, now....

Comment

Originally posted by Farler View Post
                  Why were we so hot? well cause for the first time in months it was only -10°C/14°F instead of -30°C/-22°F After a winter where the wind chill drops it to -50°C/-58°F, -10°C/14°F starts feeling bloody freaking warm.
                  Fixed.

Originally posted by Wenchie View Post
                  actually, Im not wearing one at all, now....
                  Dang it, that means we can't tell you to take it off...

Comment

Originally posted by Londubh View Post
                    Dang it, that means we can't tell you to take it off...

Comment

Grew up in North Dakota about 10 miles south of Canadian border.

Survived several winters of below zero temps and finally, after about 23 years, moved to Arizona. I love the heat, hate the cold.
                      sigpic
                      This is still the greatest country in the world, if we just steel our wills and lose our minds.

Comment

for those that are cold...

here is a video i made tonight of the fire in the fireplace

te heeee

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZuCaLoooTipouf
                        [/QUOTE] and Captain Kitty says.... "Oooooooh! You kinky bitch!" [/QUOTE]

Originally posted by RazorJAK
                        Yeah yeah, you're the type of girl who would be whispering "Safewords are for quitters." in my ear. :-P
                        http://www.zazzle.com/shalla/

Comment

Originally posted by RazorJAK View Post
                          This is one of the reasons I don't think I could date a southern girl.

I keep my house at a balmy 58 degrees in the winter.
                          pfft, I may not be a southern girl, by any standards...well other than my oddly southern accent that comes out after I've been drinking (like tonight *giggles*), however, I'm not a huge fan of the cold.

You know what this means? All you warm males, get to keep us "freezing" women cold. Just means more snuggle time.

I likes snuggle time. Honestly, I'm a weird one though (as if we all didn't already know this) I like warmth, but if there's another body in the bed, or under a blanket with me, I need to have a window open, or I'll over-heat. If the room isn't below 40 degrees, I'll over-heat, if there's someone else in the bed.

"Allias volat propriis"
                          "Zhai'helleva"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

oooo look, an eyeball *nom*

Originally posted by stidf01
                          Something tells me I have to re-educate Fal when I see her next

P.S. I'll let you know if I survive
                          Yeah, he survived, but only just

Comment

Heh, I'd drive you out of bed, most likely... I generate a ton of heat in bed
                            Chaos is it's own reward

Comment

Growing up i thought i had a low tolerence for cold since i don't do well below about 25*F, and my father (my only real yardstick for such things) seemed to actually LIKE being sent to St. Paul in January!

then i moved down here, 70 miles SE of houston and witnessed folks breaking out heavyweight jackets and parkas for temps in the low 60s!

i swear to god, it's 12:30 at night and still 48*F. For me, nice cool fall weather, makes me wanna go camping. but some of the locals act like the next thing they know there'll be polar bears roaming the streets.

Comment

On the note of polar bears wandering the streets http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill,_Manitoba I really should go up there some time. I mean it's in my province and I do so love polar bears.
                                If you're going to lose, lose with NUCLEAR EXPLOSIONS!

Comment

Working...
                                X