• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JennieB
    replied
    heh
    oops
    I've had people buy that magnet a lot and I didn't realize how I'd spelled it and somehow the univers fixed it and now I wonder if people were disapointed when they got the magnet and it was spelled differently.

Leave a comment:

• Disco Duck
    replied
    I noticed the spelling of "weired" when I too felt compelled to go look through the store. But it just made me smile and seemed perfect for that particular magnet.

Mr. Stringer is a stupid, stupid man.

Leave a comment:

• RazorJAK
    replied
    Originally posted by Londubh View Post
    Somehow, i don't have much faith that a politician from chicago is going to fix anything, but i'm hoping.
    Can't see how he could fuck it up any worse than the current pinially challenged water-brained douchenozzle from Texas.

Leave a comment:

• Necrotism (aka TJ)
    replied
    Originally posted by Londubh View Post
    Somehow, i don't have much faith that a politician from chicago is going to fix anything, but i'm hoping.

oh come on now ... Blago is awesome!

Leave a comment:

• Londubh
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Taylor View Post
    The U.S. pushed its reset button back in November. Here's hoping it works!

Leave a comment:

• Mike Taylor
    replied
    The U.S. pushed its reset button back in November. Here's hoping it works!

Leave a comment:

• toreador
    replied
    yeah we need a big red reset button right around now everything seems to be falling apart lol

Leave a comment:

• Mike Taylor
    replied
    Things are hectic all over the damn world at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• toreador
    replied
    hehe thanks hopefully here to stay this time lol, things just get hectic round here

Leave a comment:

• Mike Taylor
    replied
    Welcome back, Toreador. Good to see you again!

Leave a comment:

• toreador
    replied
    ok this guy is totaly off his rocker! first i was lost for words and now im angery...VERY angery, i suffer from Dysthraxia which is a combonation of Dyslexic disabilitys so according to him im perfectly fine im just stuped?

i vote we rip his spine out and feed it to gorden brown!

back onto topic though

the misspellings just come with DP its one of those things that we never notice unless we read threw 2 or 3 times

Leave a comment:

• Londubh
    replied
    Yes, english may be more greatly afflicted with dyslexia than other languages, I think that's because we borrow words left and right, and our pronunciation has changed so drastically over the centuries, while our spellings have stayed basically the same. Nevermind the fact that the standard spelling didn't come from a single location (hence homographs such as read).

Bascially, every other language i'm aware of has a much more phonemic orthograpy system (that is each distinct sound maps more directly to the spelling system), so i suspect that folks who might have problems reading english would do fine in languages with more sensible writing systems (i'm particularly fond of Hangul, the alphabet/syllabary of Korean)

Leave a comment:

• Dasota
    replied
    I have a rather strange form of it. One of the symptoms of Dyslexia is haveing a hard time telling your right from your left, which I have an extrememly hard time with. I also tend to skip over words or say words in a mixed up order if reading out loud.

Leave a comment:

• KiaKat
    replied
    And there's actually a form of dyslexia that runs in my family, where it's a problem with contrasts and being able to actually *see* the words.

My great-uncle has the classic form, my mom has the numbers problem, and my sister has the 'other' form. It's caused her no end of difficulty through the years, especially since she doesn't test as dyslexic, so no one ever bothered to try and help her - they just thought she couldn't read well.

I don't think she's ever done an fMRI though. Hmm. *wanders off to ask*

Nope. It wouldn't be covered under insurance, she can't find a local researcher who would do it for free, and she's not willing to pay out-of-pocket to find out something she already knows.

What's really odd is that her spelling is near-perfect. I'm not sure if it's due to effort on her part, or if it's just because her brain registers letters correctly, but skips words.

Leave a comment:

• Sehson
    replied
    Obviously he's never heard of the research that points that "dyslexia" only exists in english readers....

That because other languages the symbol word/phoneme the disorder exists in different parts of the brain, so the problem would be called somethings else. IE somone who would have japanese dyslexia is going to show problem areas on brain scans then most dyslexic english readers, And so will people reading sanscrit....

And then there is the whole math dyslexicia disorder where words and letters are fine but numbers are a whole different matter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X