Nuggets of Hatred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuggets of Hatred

I've never actually understood why people don't like brussel sprouts. I love 'em. Used to power through loads of them in basic.

They're just tiny lil cabbages which have a more concentrated flavour.

Oh, and they're extra nummy nummy when you steam them and serve with crumbled up bacon.

"See? That right there is why I check your vagina for traps every time we're about to have sex."

Um, that just means you like bacon...

I'm with Will on this. Was it not written that the anti-Will shall emerge from the fields bearing a sprout in one hand and a book of vile poetry in the other?

Well, yes, and admittedly it was only written in the last paragraph, but that's good enough for me. Proof!

Rapscallion
    A book in which I'm credited as being influential in its origins.

Comment

Never did like Brussel Sprouts when I was a kid - far too bitter tasting. Even the butter didn't help... much.

But if you ever find a good Belgian restaurant try their sprouts. These guys know how to cook them. The closest Belgian restaurant to me has brussel sprouts to die for... smoked then cooked with bacon and cheese sprinkled on top.

Never thought I would ever say this, but I'm salivating over brussel sprouts.
      sigpic
      This is my idea of exercise

Comment

i've always loved brussel sprouts. even raw. is gooooood

Wanted My Hos & Knifes Fly

Comment

*awaits als inevitable pervy retort to leffy's comment*

cant stand the things myself give me icecream for dinner anyday
          Mind if i...reel you in?

Comment

before the pervy retort....

Comment

Originally posted by Leffy View Post
              before the pervy retort....
              Sooo need that shirt.
              Please Click the Eggs & Pokeemanz found here!!!!

Not dead which eternal lie; stranger aeons, death may die.

Comment

its a limited edition :| for some reason only available in black or "beach white" size small mens. which irked me. i've got a preggo friend thatd look cute in it.

Comment

i've always loved brussel sprouts. even raw. is gooooood
                  Yet another reason I love, leffy sweety.

"See? That right there is why I check your vagina for traps every time we're about to have sex."

Comment

Golden-Crusted Brussels Sprouts

Use brussels sprouts that are on the small size and tightly closed. You can finish these with many different types of cheese but a good rule of thumb is Parmesan and/or Mozarella in warmer weather and heavier cheeses like gruyere or Gouda in colder weather.

24 small brussels sprouts
                    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for rubbing
                    fine-grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
                    1/4 cup grated cheese of your choice

Wash the brussels sprouts well. Trim the stem ends and remove any raggy outer leaves. Cut in half from stem to top and gently rub each half with olive oil, keeping it intact (or if you are lazy just toss them in a bowl with a glug of olive oil).

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in your largest skillet over medium heat. Don’t overheat the skillet, or the outsides of the brussels sprouts will cook too quickly. Place the brussels sprouts in the pan flat side down (single-layer), sprinkle with a couple pinches of salt, cover, and cook for roughly 5 minutes; the bottoms of the sprouts should only show a hint of browning. Cut into or taste one of the sprouts to gauge whether they’re tender throughout. If not, cover and cook for a few more minutes.

Once just tender, uncover, turn up the heat, and cook until the flat sides are deep brown and caramelized. Use a metal spatula to toss them once or twice to get some browning on the rounded side. Season with more salt, a few grinds of pepper, and a dusting of grated cheese. While you might be able to get away with keeping a platter of these warm in the oven for a few minutes, they are exponentially tastier if popped in your mouth immediately.

Serves 4.
                    Last edited by RazorJAK; 12-05-2007, 11:58 AM.

Comment

you SURE you don't have a kitchen friendly brother? i needs me a housewife like you

Comment

Swiss Cheese Brussel Sprouts

* 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, washed, cleaned
                        * ½ cup bread crumbs
                        * 1 cup Swiss cheese, grated
                        * 3 tablespoons butter
                        * Seasonings to taste

1. Cook Brussels sprouts in salted water for about 25 minutes.
                        2. Drain off water.
                        3. Put Brussels sprouts in frying pan with the butter.
                        4. When butter has melted, sprinkle with seasonings, bread crumbs and cheese.
                        5. Mix, but do not stir too much.
                        6. Serve

Steaming the sprouts instead of boiling them works as well. They'll be a bit more toothy.
                        If you enjoy more pungent cheeses, feel free to swap out crumbled feta or bleu cheese.

This dish is REALLY good served with couscous or polenta.
                        Last edited by RazorJAK; 12-05-2007, 12:12 PM.

Comment

you SURE you don't have a kitchen friendly brother? i needs me a housewife like you
                          My brother is ALMOST as kitchen friendly as I am. But he's VERY taken. I'm the only single one of my siblings.

Comment

i always do this quicky

INGREDIENTS

* 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
                            * 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 8 pieces
                            * 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts
                            * 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
                            * 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
                            * 1 1/2 cups 99% fat-free chicken broth
                            * Salt and black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a skillet, heat oil and brown chicken. Lay chicken in a shallow baking dish and surround with Brussels sprouts. Sprinkle onions and rosemary over chicken. Add broth, salt and pepper. Bake, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover, increase oven temperature to 400 degrees, and bake 30 to 40 minutes, until sprouts are cooked firm, not mushy.

though i cheat and use dried rosemary that i let soak in a few teaspoons of warm water for an hours or so

Comment

That sounds like a good meal. though you may want to consider adding smoked hungarian paprika to it. You'll be amazed what a bit of that will do to a poultry dish.

(- Which reminds me. It's december. Time for me to make my annual huge batch of chicken paprikash. -)

Comment

Working...
                              X